Friday, November 23, 2012

King's Arms Tavern Sweet Potatoes

My family insists we have these sweet potatoes every Thanksgiving. Sometimes they may even appear at Christmas time as well. They are the only sweet potatoes that I enjoy. Perhaps it is due to the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg? Nevertheless, these are fabulous.

This recipe is from The Williamsburg Cookbook given to me by my father. I am quite attached to this book--lots of memories associated with the place and the recipes within its pages. If there is one recipe I am sentimental about, this is it.

King's Arms Tavern Sweet Potatoes

3 pounds sweet potatoes
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed, divided
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 400˚ F.

Grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole.

Cook the sweet potatoes in boiling salted water until done; drain, peel, and mash them.

Stir in all of the remaining ingredients except 2 tablespoons of sugar.

Turn the mixture into the prepared casserole and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.

Bake at 400˚ F. for 30 minutes.

(8-10 servings)




2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! One day I'll have to try to convince my family to try sweet potatoes again. This year we branched out and had brown sugar glazed carrots. The adults thought they were great. The kids- not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new fan of sweet potatoes. I only have one child who eats them, but maybe I'll try them anyway. They look really good.

    ReplyDelete